Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Santa Decision

So Joey and I have decided on Santa. I had a good long talk with one of my great friends, Nicole and she gave me a different perspective on Santa. We will teach Leena about Santa...no, I don't feel right about lying to Leena even for something as innocent as Santa but I do not want to rob her of that childhood innocence. I am not too worried about her spoiling it to other kids or anything like that if we did choose otherwise so that wasn't really a deciding factor. Plus, she's going to be home schooled so she won't be bombarded with a ton of kids talking about Santa all the time this time of year. (Not saying she will be a recluse home schooler. ;))

So, we will teach her about him BUT when writing letters to Santa we will write two. One asking Santa to help out someone or bring someone else who is very deserving or in great need something. And the other for Leena's, hopefully, small request for herself. AKA stocking stuffer size. I want to limit Santa to stocking stuffers. I want him to be a small portion of Christmas. Not CHRISTMAS. She will not be getting many presents. Call us bad parents if you want but honestly, the spirit of giving, celebrating life, being memorized by pretty lights and being with family all snuggled up in warm clothing, I want her to look forward to all of that. Not presents.

Nicole sent me this story she had read to give me another perspective on Santa:

"Teach the Children"
a story for Christmas

It was a week before Christmas and I had just finished the household
chores
for the night and was preparing to go to bed when I heard a noise in
the front of the house. I opened the door to the front room and to my
surprise, Santa himself stepped out from the chimney. He placed his finger
over his mouth so I would not cry out.
"What are you doing?" I started to ask. The words choked up in my
throat and I saw he had tears in his eyes. Gone was his usual jolly manner
and eager, boisterous character we all know. He then answered me with one
simple statement. "Teach the children!"
I was puzzled. What did he mean? He guessed my question, and with
one quick movement he pulled a miniature toy bag from behind the Christmas
tree
. As I stood puzzled, Santa said, "Teach the children! Teach them the
TRUE meaning of Christmas. The meaning that now-a-days Christmas has
forgotten."
Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a fir tree and placed
it in front of the fire place. "Teach the children that the pure green
color of the stately fir tree remains green all year round, representing the
everlasting hope of mankind. All the needles point towards Heaven, making
it a symbol of man's thoughts turning toward Heaven."
He again reached into his bag and pulled out a brilliant star.
"Teach the children that the star was the heavenly sign of promises long
ago. God promised a Savior for the world, and the star was the sign of
fulfillment of His promise."
He then reached into his bag and pulled out a candle. "Teach the
children that the candle symbolizes Christ is the Light of the world and
when we see this great Light we are reminded of Jesus who fills our lives
with light."
Once again he reached into his bag and removed a wreath and placed
it on the Christmas tree. "Teach the children that the wreath symbolizes
the real nature of love. Real love never ceases, like God's love which has
no beginning or end."
He then pulled from his bag an ornament of himself. "Teach the
children that I, Santa Clause, symbolize the generosity and kindness we feel
during the month of December."
Again he reached into his bag and brought out a holly leaf. "Teach
the children that the holly plant represents immortality. It represents the
crown of thorns worn by our Savior. The red holly represents the blood He
shed."
Next, he pulled a gift from his bag. "Teach the children that God
so loved the world
that He gave His only begotten Son. We thank God for his
very special gift. Teach the children that the wise men bowed before the
Holy Baby and gave Him gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. We should
always give gifts in the same spirit as the wise men."
Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a candy cane and hung
it on the tree. "Teach the children that the candy cane represents the
Shepherd's staff. The crook on the staff helps to bring back lost sheep to
the flock."
He reached in again and pulled out an angel. "Teach the children
that it was the Angels that announced the glorious news of the Savior's
birth. The Angels sang 'Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace and
good will toward men."
Suddenly, I heard a soft tinkling sound, and from his bag he pulled
out a bell. "Teach the children that as the lost sheep are found by the
sound of the bell, it should ring to guide us to God. The bell symbolizes
guidance and return. It reminds us that we are all precious in the eyes of
God
."
Santa looked back and was pleased. I saw the twinkle in his eyes as
he said, "Remember, teach the children the true meaning of Christmas and do
not put me in the center, for I am but a humble servant of the One that is
and I bow down to worship Him, our Lord, our God."

"An Angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone
around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not
be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the
people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is
Christ the Lord."
Luke 2:9-11


Leena will be taught he is more of a "spirit" working for God, than an actual real person.
And lastly, although I am sure I forgot some part of my conditions, is that no matter what age Leena asks if he is real, we will tell her the truth and our reasoning behind having him as a part of Christmas.

Peace and Love.

From last year. :)

9 comments:

BabyBundtBakery said...

I love this. I think I may actually print that out and put it on our tree. if I was creative enough I would make little ornaments out of it.....hmmmmm thats an idea. Thank you mam

Unknown said...

Love that.

We do pretty much the same regards Santa. This year Lola asked for a telescope and for presents for the girls and boys who haven't got a home :)

Milk No Sugar said...

I think it is a good idea. Sadly I never believed in Santa and I think i ruined it for my poor sister.

I still allowed my parents to put sherry out for santa and carrots for the reindeer, but I drank the Sherry :)

Nicole said...

So glad I could help :) love you guys!

Unknown said...

Well, you aren't a bad parent for wanting your child to know the true meaning of Christmas. My stepson was told that Santa wasn't real last year and he swears up and down that he is, just so he can get more presents. We are only putting coloring books and colors out for Isabelle this year, she will love it and I got them at the dollar store. Santa Claus is way over rated anyway.

G9 said...

This was so sweet. I totally agree w/ all of your reasonsing behind the whole subject. Even now I don't lie (and never have) about Santa. They asked me if he was real and I tell them that a kind generous man name St Nicholas DID share toys w/ the needy children that there WAS someone that gave and asked for nothing in return. When Justin asks me now if he is real I ask him what he thinks. He says yes I believe do you believe? yes I believe in St Nick because it makes me happy and reminds me to give is better than to receive.

Charlotte said...

what a great story... incorporates so much meaning into 'traditional' Christmas items.

Lil Muse Lily said...

sounds like a great decision. we also don't believe in overload of gifts. it's all about the spirit of Christmas.

kat @ withachanceof said...

i commend you and love this view point of Santa and Christmas! I've been pondering this issue too. I don't want this to just be a commercial holiday for my little girl. So hats off to you! You guys seem like AMAZING parents ^.^