Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ginger wonderfulness

Leena and I are both fighting colds. She seems to be doing much better today but still not as active as normal. She has been watching movies almost all day. :( Rest is the best thing for her but I hate having her watch so much tv. I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and it very quickly turned into a full blown cold. For dinner I decided some soup sounded yummy. All I have in the instant soup department is not vegetarian, plus instant soup doesn't have the same great taste and isn't all that healthy for you. I decided to try to make something from what I had on hand. The really sucky part about making something very yummy from scratch is that I don't measure anything so it's hard to share my recipe with all of you. Here's my "guesstimate" on how I made this yummy yummy soup.

Ingredients
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
4-6 small cloves of garlic, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch size pieces
1 inch by 1 inch piece of grated fresh ginger
Fair size pile of pickled ginger, approximately 1/4 cup
Handful of cilantro, whole stems, no need to rip the leaves off
2 green onions, chopped (put to the side, these will go in last minute!)
2 large handfuls of chopped mushrooms (put to the side, these will go in last minute!)
8 cups of water
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp coriander seeds
5 dried bay leaves
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt
1 section of soba noodles (the packages we get come in three separated sections of noodles, not sure if they all do.)

Phew, that seems like a ton! After chopping your onion and garlic throw them straight into a large pot. Add olive oil and saute for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Add water, carrots, pickled and fresh ginger, cilantro, parsley, oregano, thyme, coriander seeds, bay leaves, soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and salt. (To make your life a bit easier you might want to put the coriander and bay leaves in a cheesecloth pouch for easy removal later. Let this come to a rolling boil and boil for 45 minutes. Strain the bay leaves, coriander, cilantro and a good portion of the onion and pickled ginger and toss in your compost bin. ;) Next set aside your broth in a bowl and use the same pot to boil your soba noodles for about 3 minutes. They will be a bit "al dente" still which is perfect. Strain and rinse your noodles then toss the broth back into the pot with the noodles. Toss in mushrooms and 3/4 of the chopped green onion. Simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Serve with the remaining green onion on top. I even grated a bit more ginger straight into my bowl for a tad more added spice and sinus cleansing goodness. :)

Let me know if you try it and how you like it if so!

The ginger was so lovely on my throat and has made my head not feel fuzzy. Ahhh, I feel so nice now. I used to not like ginger at all! My how far I have come in the last year!

For those of you that haven't seen yet, I am a redhead again....and when I say redhead, I mean "Stole Little Mermaid's hair right off her head" red. I am in love with it!

In honor of Ariel..."What the Fish?!"

Leena watching me get my hair done. Snotty and tired but she was a trooper.

Other than being sick I have been editing editing editing! So much editing! I am enjoy it so much. What wonderful additions to my portfolio. :)

Oh, you should check out my giveaway on my facebook fanpage. Click here.

Peace and love.

P.S. I may or may not have seen a tree get struck by lightning last night when I watched Donna's kids for her. (And I hope they don't get this cold!)

No comments: