Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pumpkin and Mushroom Curry Soup

I had this soup at a party a few weeks ago and thought I'd take a shot at recreating it.
I was not disappointed. Hopefully you will not be either.

Ingredients:
1 small "pumpkin pie" pumpkin, approximately 6 inches tall and 18-24 inches around
(This was about 4 cups of pumpkin I would guess.)
1/2 - 1 whole small organic white onion, chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
24 ounces of organic veggie broth
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp curry powder
2-3 pinches of pink salt (sea salt works also)
1/2 tbsp raw organic honey
8 ounces of sliced organic baby portobella mushrooms
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
fresh ground pepper to taste

Quarter, "de-pulp" and de-seed the pumpkin. Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Sauté onion in coconut oil until soft and a bit caramelized in a large pot. Once pumpkin is done scoop out the flesh and transfer into the pot with the onion. Add the veggie broth, nutmeg, curry powder, salt and honey. Bring to a low boil then let simmer while you chop the mushrooms. Before adding the mushrooms puree the soup with an immersion blender (or regular blender if you don't have an immersion blender but just transfer back to the pot when done). Add mushrooms and milk to soup and let simmer until mushrooms are soft. Mix in fresh ground pepper and enjoy!

Let me know if you try this. I'm sure you could substitute the pumpkin for canned pumpkin puree I am just not sure off the top of my head how much you'd need to get the same flavor but make this recipe your own!

Happy Autumn!
Peace and Love.

1 comment:

bonfire of my vanity said...

ooooh, that looks so good. my partner is a mycology graduate student (study of mushrooms) and so we get all sorts of fancy mushrooms to eat during certain seasons here. i wonder if this would be good with chantrelles. looks delish!