Saturday, May 1, 2010

Uncertainty.

With this huge oil spill in the Gulf coast I am more uncertain in the future of my husband's job than ever. The company he works for repairs leaky oil rigs, tears them down, fixes hurricane damage, basically just keeps them working well so that the ones that are already out there DON'T ruin the environment any more than they already do. It's a rough life being a hippie couple who works 'somewhat' for the oil companies. This is not our dream life but it's what gets us through financially. I can't wait for the day we can be farmers, a doula and part time photographers. It is a very real possibility that drilling in the Gulf will be shut down. Of course Joey swears that he would still have a few good years of work with tearing down platforms and such, it still makes me quite scared.

However thrilled that would make me to have less dependence on a substance that so greatly effects our world negatively, I am still very scared at the uncertainty this puts on our future. This should not have been the reason the world sees just how dangerous oil and the oil business is. Louisiana hasn't even fully recovered from Hurricane Katrina and now they are staring down at the forefront of a potentially greater loss to their economy. So where do we go from here? Your guess is as good as mine.

I can't wait for the day we are living off the land. Not dependent on corporate America. That day may be right around the corner and we are not prepared for it. I guess I better get my butt in gear with Doula training and getting my name out there for photography.

If you would like to volunteer to help in the clean up efforts go here.

Peace and Love to you all.

No comments: