Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Review of sorts.

I just wanted to take the time to write about a few products and sites, etc that have caught my eye lately. I stumbled upon Eco Mom a few days ago when I was going to cash in my Swagbucks for a $5 Amazon.com gift card as I usually do. I was intrigued and checked it out and was super happy to find it. So instead I got a $5 gift card to spend on that site instead this time around. I ended up getting:
This
My lips have been taking a beating this pregnancy so I wanted to try out this yummy sounding lip butter to protect them. It's lavender and geranium that makes up the scent in this and HOLY, it is a lovely scent. It reminds me of something from when I was younger but can't quite place what. All I know is it gives me a happy feeling wearing and smelling it. It's so super silky and makes my lips super moisturized. Definitely glad with this pick! It's also made under fair trade regulations but it doesn't say if this product is made in the USA. I looked at the HelloMellow website and it is a USA based company but could not find info on if it's actually made in the USA. All the ingredients are natural:
Avocado and mango butter, beeswax (so no, sorry vegans, it's not vegan friendly), soy wax, essential oils of lavender and geranium and love (Yes, they actually put love. :))
This
I bought this because I love me some cheek tint. So much prettier in my opinion than powder blush. I have only been wearing mascara on the days I even wear make up anymore but started missing the pretty glow on my cheeks I used to do with a NOT natural cream blush. I think it was almay or l'oreal, something along those lines. This one is 100% natural.
Ingredients: Fruit pigments of all or some of the following : Plum, Pomegranate, Red wine, Cranberry, Strawberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Cherry, Cocoa Bean, Peach, Apricot, Blueberry, Carrot and Tomato, Vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate), Shea Butter, Grapeseed Oil, Cocoa Butter, Honey Beeswax, Vitamin E (a-tocopherol), Natural Strawberry Flavor
I was wondering why there was natural strawberry flavor but then realize it said LIP & cheek tint. See how thorough I am when ordering stuff sometimes? ;)
The color is a bit pinker than the photo shows but still a beautiful color. Gives me the glow I was seeking. And yes, it was $15 but when your only make up you use is mascara, lip butter/chapstick aka burts bees and now cheek tint again, spending more on natural, SAFE products is totally in the budget. Plus why pay less to just slather myself in cancer causing chemicals? I don't think that would be worth the few dollars I saved down the road. Again, I would recommend this product.

This
I have always loved these types of colored pencils. I got this little pack for Leena and she about peed herself from excitement. She was amazed that she could color with sticks! From the moment we opened the package today till the time she went to bed tonight she had these little cuties in tow. She even drew a picture of daddy with the blue one. I caught her trying to smuggle them into her room so she could even go to sleep with them. Sure they may end up being a pain in the butt to sharpen, you know, boyscout style with a knife, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. These are made by fair trade production and are HANDMADE. Love them!
This
I needed a new toothbrush. It was time to get rid of the yucky, I have had two cold sores in about a month's time, toothbrush. Yes, I should have replaced it after the first one but it happens. I learned my lesson. ANYWAYS, this toothbrush is made from recycled yogurt cups. It comes in a mail back package where you just pop in your old toothbrush, tape the pack shut and stick it in the mail box! They will recycle it back into another toothbrush but before you freak out, the bristles are brand new. No, there is no incentive to mail it back other than helping out the environment, which that itself should be incentive enough, plus, they make it so easy to do that you'd just have to be lazy. ;) At only $2.99 it's totally not a hard switch to make.
This
This is another version of the toothbrush above. Same company, same concept and production this one is just a little bit more cost wise and designed to be easier for kids to use. The added cost however also goes towards donating a portion to the NWF. These ones do not come in a mail back pack but you can still mail them back in to be recycled. I wonder if I can shove two in the pack that came with my toothbrush? I guess we'll see in 3 months. ;)

All in all I'm super happy with my purchases and with Eco Mom's site in general. I think next I will have to purchase some men's body wash and hygiene products for Joey to start using. He is still using the cheapest bodywash he can possibly buy because well, he's cheap when it comes to himself. ;) I'll have to sneak it in his offshore bag. Then lets see him fight me on it. Oh yes, Hi Joey. Pretend you didn't just read that. :P

Peace and Love!

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I really like the idea of recycled toothbrushes! (sans recycled bristles of course.) I'm going to check it out... thanks for the link!