Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Not for the faint of heart-Recipe

Joey was the one that taught me the ways of the homemade Alfredo sauce. It's been tweaked by us both and I think it's come a long way from the first time he made me a cute candlelight dinner where he made Alfredo, sans broccoli, the most amazingly fatty garlic bread and I believe some salad. He's adorable. It's been about 5 years since and now it's no longer made with Parmesan, has been reintroduced to it's counterpart broccoli and now has been even further tweaked by me last night. And can I just say thank you to Joey working offshore and making him have the revelation that even if he doesn't like the veggies he still needed to eat them for his health (especially since all the other choices are mainly just fat) and that turned into him actually liking...no no, LOVING veggies now. I'm so proud. Wiping away the tear of joy. I mean, I tried, FOR YEARS, to get him to love his veggies to no avail. But I digress.
Alfredo sauce is super easy to make and super changeable to meet your taste needs. You may never buy premade Alfredo sauce again....besides, that stuff is nasty! ;)

Gorgonzola Alfredo
About 5 cloves of garlic, smashed or finely minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese
3/4 cup shredded Gorgonzola cheese
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 box pasta of your choice, I suggest thin whole wheat spaghetti. That's our favorite here!
Veggies of your choice. Typically broccoli but in my case last night I didn't have broccoli so I used frozen peas and brussels sprout. Obviously, if you aren't a weirdo like Leena and I are and don't like brussel sprouts like most everyone else I know in my life then don't use them. ;)

Start your water for boiling and cooking the pasta. In the mean time cut/smash your garlic. In a warm pot put saute the garlic in the olive oil. When slightly browned pour in your pint of cream and let it warm through. When warm start adding small hand fulls of cheese and mix between each addition till the cheese melts completely in. Keeping adding and stirring till all your cheese has been incorporated. Add your pepper now if you want it. Turn the burner on low and let it slightly simmer. After your pasta is done mix the sauce and pasta together and add your veggies and let them warm through on low. Last night I put the whole mixture in a baking dish and baked it all for about 20 minutes on 350 degrees and the last two minutes or so on broil to give it a bit of a crisp to it.

Gorgonzola is a lot like Bleu cheese. But stronger. If you don't like Bleu cheese then I wouldn't recommend this recipe to you. It is very soft as well so if you are having trouble grating it put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before you grate it to have it harden up a bit.

If you want "normal" Alfredo just substitute the Gorgonzola for more Asiago. The switch from Parmesan to Asiago has made this recipe so much better so I recommend you try making it with Asiago instead.

Let me know if you try this out and how you like it. <3

Hope you are all having a warm snuggly kind of day. It's cold here and just want to snuggle under blankets all day with Leena and Joey. I'm ready for spring.

Peace and Love.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

my pants got tighter. right this second.

ladaisi said...

I adore Alfredo Sauce. I also think I'm allergic to it. Sigh.

Ladaisi Blog

Katelyn said...

A lot of times they put some nutmeg in it. It might be that you are allergic to?

Katelyn said...

Or you could be lactose intolerant.

A Wanderers Soul said...

This sounds SO yummy. I will have to try it!